This week is my nine-day New York sojourn. The goal is to cram in the fullest range of human emotion and activity.
- I had one of the best dinners of my life at this schmancy place last night, balanced out by a $5 breakfast of eggs, sausage, toast, potatoes and OJ today at this dive (we saw no brown critters).
- I got stood up by Aasif Mandvi for an interview, which made me quite glum. Then he showed up two hours late, with a sad story about burst pipes. We bro’ed out.
- I spent the snowstorm in a Turkish baked potato restaurant, interviewing the manager about his weirdo toppings (hot dog chunks, green olives, marshmallows).
- I walked two miles down Northern Boulevard in Queens to interview a Spanish chorizo maker. (Isn’t there a saying about not wanting to see sausage-making up close?)
- I went from a raging drunk at the beginning of the week to a complete teetotaler now. My serious head cold is a factor.
- Tomorrow I will go home to Massachusetts for one night, because my aunt passed away. Then I will hustle back to Brooklyn for a wedding.
And throughout all this frenetic activity, there’s one big thing missing- SK.